Bituthene® 3000 and Bituthene® Low Temperature – Below Grade
Self-adhesive, rubberized asphalt/polyethylene waterproofing membranes for basements and sub-structures
Bituthene® 3000 and Bituthene® Low Temperature are self-adhesive, rubberized asphalt/polyethylene waterproofing membranes used in basements and sub-structures.
- Waterproof – high hydrostatic head resistance
- Cross laminated film – provides dimensional stability, high tear strength, puncture and impact resistance
- Cold applied – no flame hazard; self-adhesive overlaps ensure continuity
- Chemically resistant – provides effective external protection against aggressive soils and groundwater
- Flexible – accommodates minor settlement and shrinkage movement
- Controlled thickness – factory made sheet ensures constant, non-variable site application
- Wide application window –
- Bituthene® Low Temperature surface and ambient temperatures between 25 °F (-4 °C) and 60°F (16 °C)
- Bituthene® 3000 surface and ambient temperatures at 40 °F (5 °C) or above
- Ripcord® split release on demand – faster application in the straight-aways, ease of membrane positioning in detailed areas
Bituthene® is ideal for waterproofing concrete, masonry and wood surfaces where in-service temperatures will not exceed 130 °F (54°C). It can be applied to foundation walls, tunnels, earth sheltered structures and split slab construction, both above and below grade. (For above grade applications, see Above Grade Waterproofing Bituthene® 3000 and Bituthene® Low Temperature.)
Bituthene® is 1/16 in. (1.5 mm) thick, 3 ft (0.9 m) wide and 66.7 ft (20 m) long and is supplied in rolls. It is unrolled, sticky side down, onto concrete slabs or applied onto vertical concrete faces primed with Bituthene® Primer WP-3000, Primer B2 or Primer B2 LVC. Continuity is achieved by overlapping a minimum 2 in. (50 mm) and firmly rolling the joint.
Bituthene® is extremely flexible. It is capable of bridging shrinkage cracks in the concrete and will accommodate minor differential movement throughout the service life of the structure.
Patch tears and inadequately lapped seams with membrane. Clean membrane with a damp cloth and dry. Slit fishmouths and repair with a patch extending 6 in. (150 mm) in all directions from the slit and seal edges of the patch with Bituthene® Liquid Membrane. Inspect the membrane thoroughly before covering and make any repairs.
Hydroduct® drainage composites are recommended for both active drainage and protection of the membrane. See Hydroduct® product information sheets.