Bituthene® System 4000 – Below Grade
Self-adhesive HDPE waterproofing membrane with super tacky compound for use with patented, water-based Bituthene® System 4000 Surface Conditioner
Bituthene® System 4000 Waterproofing Membrane is a 1/16 in. (1.5 mm) flexible, pre-formed membrane which combines a high performance, cross laminated, HDPE carrier film with a unique, super tacky, self-adhesive rubberized asphalt compound. Bituthene® System 4000 Surface Conditioner is a water-based, latex surface treatment which imparts an aggressive, high tack finish to the treated substrate. It is specifically formulated to bind site dust and concrete efflorescence, thereby providing a suitable surface for the Bituthene® System 4000 Waterproofing Membrane.
Conveniently packaged in each roll of membrane, Bituthene® System 4000 Surface Conditioner promotes good initial adhesion and, more importantly, excellent permanent adhesion of the Bituthene® System 4000 Waterproofing Membrane. The VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) content of this product is 100 g/L. Architectural and Industrial Maintenance Regulations limit the VOC content in products classified as architectural coatings. Refer to Technical Letters for most current list of allowable limits.
- Excellent adhesion—special adhesive compound engineered to work with high tack System 4000 Surface Conditioner
- Cold applied—simple application to substrates, especially at low temperatures
- Reduced inventory and handling costs—System 4000 Surface Conditioner is included with each roll of membrane
- Wide application temperature range—excellent bond to self and substrate from 25°F (-4°C) and above
- Overlap security—minimizes margin for error under site conditions
- Cross laminated, high density polyethylene carrier film— provides high tear strength, puncture and impact resistance
- Flexible—accommodates minor structural movements and will bridge shrinkage cracks
- Ripcord®—this split release on demand feature allows the splitting of the release paper into two (2) pieces for ease of installation in detailed areas
- Bituthene® membrane is ideal for waterproofing concrete, masonry and wood surfaces where in-service temperatures will not exceed 135°F (57°C). It can be applied to foundation walls, tunnels, earth sheltered structures and split slab construction, both above and below grade. (For above grade applications, see Above Grade Waterproofing Bituthene® System 4000.)
- Bituthene® waterproofing membrane is 1/16 in. (1.5 mm) thick, 3 ft (0.9 m) wide and 66.7 ft (20 m) long and is supplied in rolls. It is unrolled sticky side down onto concrete slabs or applied onto vertical concrete faces primed with Bituthene® System 4000 Surface Conditioner. Continuity is achieved by overlapping a minimum 2 in. (50 mm) and firmly rolling the joint.
- Bituthene® membrane is extremely flexible. It is capable of bridging shrinkage cracks in the concrete and will accommodate minor differential movement throughout the service life of the structure.
Hydroduct® drainage composites are recommended for both active drainage and protection of the membrane. See Hydroduct® product information sheets.